Do you have an arm and a leg to spare?

Oh boy...here we go!  Get ready.  Hold on to your seat.  I have so many things swimming around in my head right now...so hoping I do a good job delivering it to you.

Who loves Facebook?  Who loves the local "hip" groups?  I have to say, I'm on Facebook probably more than I should be.  It's a time-sucker for sure!  However, as a business owner, it's crucial at the same time.  

As a photographer, we get tagged and sometimes tag ourselves in posts where potential clients are "looking for a photographer that won't cost them an arm and a leg".  I know, my field is not the only one that gets posts like this.  For example, I've seen roofer, plumber, mechanic, etc.  It does surprise me sometimes at how long some of these threads can get...sometimes more than a 100 comments.  So what can I do to stand out?  I mean, I really don't need an extra arm or leg.  But I do need to be able to pay my bills, feed my kids, and continue growing in my ever changing field.  

I work very hard to be the best photographer I can possibly be.  I'm constantly continuing my education and learning.  I subscribe to groups/businesses that help in photography skills, marketing, templates, software, and scheduling, just to name a few off the top of my head.  Also, I go to a few workshops/conventions each year to learn from my peers and leaders in the photography world.  Plus, I'm an active board member in the local Professional Photographers of Middle Tennessee organization.  Then, I have to keep track of my income and expenses for my taxes.  I mean, I don't really accept arms and legs for payments.  However...side note, I did know a photographer once that accepted payment in Walmart gift cards, etc.   I think this was in the beginning stages of their business, I hope.  And finally, I'm out there on the daily, meeting new people and making connections one to one.  Those of you that know me, may not think this last one is hard for me.  In high school I was thought to be a snob by some, but in reality, I was just shy.  I would much prefer to sit back and watch people than try to start a conversation.  This is so difficult for me, but I do it because people need to know me, like me, and trust me, to be their photographer.  Don't get me wrong...I do actually enjoy it a little more each day and I'm learning it gets easier the more I put myself out there.

Now, let's get back to Facebook for a minute, then I'll tell you what brought me to Nashville.  Recently, I replied to a post stating I could help and mentioned that I'm a CPP (certified professional photographer).  What is that?  Certified for what?  To take pictures?  These are replies I get occasionally.  So bare with me as I give you a little back story...I will tell you why I studied and worked so hard to be able to put those letters at the end of my name.

In 2007, I became a member of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA).  The PPA is the world's largest nonprofit photography association organized for professional photographers, by professional photographers, and with 30,000 members...present in more than 50 countries.  The PPA's mission is to create a community of successful professional photographers by providing education, resources and industry standards of excellence.  

Part of this education...is encouraging photographers to become certified.  As a CPP, I had to complete a written examination, finish an image evaluation and adhere to a strict code of conduct.  Certification must be renewed on a periodic basis, ensuring continued confidence in the professionalism of Certified Professional Photographers.


I did this to set myself apart and to stand out in my field.  I am proud of it and the hard work I put in to accomplish this goal.  Here's some interesting local statistics.  I did a little research in my area...in the Nashville area (25 mile radius), there are over 200 professional photographers.  How many do you think are CPP?  There are only 4 of us.  I knew it would a low number, but I was a little shocked there were only 4.  

Did I need to become a CPP "just to take pictures"?  No, I didn't.  But I do want people to know I take what I do seriously and it's more than a hobby.  I specialize in headshots and boudoir photography.  I'm taking pictures every day that help people get jobs, make them stand out in their professions, and empowers them.  It's what I do and I love it!

Now, let's change gears.  Why am I here in the Nashville area?  I was born and raised in Missouri.  My family slowly migrated here...and finally, I was the last sibling in Hannibal.  My kids and I decided to make the move.  That process took over a year.  In the meantime, my dad passed away(June 2016), and my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer(Oct 2016).  We were able to get here and moved in July 2017.  I'm happy to say my mom is doing very well. 


She was able to have what they call "Whipple" surgery.  It has been a very, very, tough two years, but she is living life every day thankful to be here.  She went on her very first "Big Girl" trip last month.  We tease her about that because she married my dad when she was 18 and they were married for almost 51 years.  We are a close family and she travels a lot with family, but has never really traveled by herself.  Now that she's feeling better, she finally decided to plan a trip and this one was solo.  A cruise.  She did meet up with people she knew on the cruise, but overall, on this trip she traveled on her own.  Next month, she is traveling abroad and doing a cruise in Greece.  And yesterday...she hopped in her car and drove to Texas(13 hrs by herself) to visit my sister and her family...and to meet her new great grandson.  Life is good!  God is good.  We are blessed!

Until next time,

Tootles!
Angela

→Photo of my mother-I loved her hair as it was growing back in and I had to do a little shoot with her.


Follow me! 👇
*********

Like my Facebook business page
https://www.facebook.com/AngelasPhotographyTN/

Join my private NO BOYS allowed Nashville area boudoir group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/boudoirnashville/

Join my boudoir email list:
http://eepurl.com/gcv47L

Join my VIP email list:
http://eepurl.com/dIGf5r

Join my Greater Nashville Entrepreneur Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GreaterNashvilleEntrepreneurs/

Follow me on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/_angelas_photography
and

https://www.instagram.com/boudoirnashville

Comments

Popular Posts